View Single Post
Old 06-22-2004, 05:31 AM
Administrator

Default Player name pronunciation?

Posted By: Gary B.

"Chesbro" is pronounced "lucky" - he is probably the single most undeserving player in the HOF, Rabbit Maranville and Roger Bresnahan not excluded.

Jack Chesbro may not have been the greatest pitcher of all time, but he still deserves to be in the hall. Besides winning 41 games in one year (unbeaten in the modern era), between 1901-1906 he was 153-75. His lifetime ERA was 2.68 (Cy Young was 2.63) and his lifetime winning percentage was .600 (Walter Johnson was .599). Maybe he didn't have a LONG career as a fantastic pitcher, but it was at least a few year run of great pitching where he won 20+ games 5 times (almost 6), not just the one unbelievable season.

Rabbit Maranville was supposedly a fantastic shortstop with more games played in the NL than any other player at shortstop (unless that record was subsequently broken - my research didn't take me that far), and he did get 2,605 hits - not bad for someone who was a shortstop most of his career.

I think of that list you mentioned, Roger Bresnahan is the one that doesn't deserve inclusion. He may have revolutionized catching by introducting protective gear, and he was supposedly a great chatcher, but his offensive numbers are unimpressive to say the least, at least for a HOF'er.