View Single Post
Old 10-27-2021, 08:40 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
First, interesting stuff... thank you for posting.

As to Piedmont's and Sweet Caporal's but no brown Hindu's, consider that the printers just started putting cards out there, P's and SC's, and as a few players and others complained, that's when they started sending what we'd think of as 'Ball letters.' I concede a problem with that is the postmark of when the Ball letter went out...

Pat, as I read along with what you'd posted, it occurred to me that we've always assumed that cards on a sheet would always have identical backs... It makes sense to me that they'd be that way, but it's an uncertain variable that I don't recall anyone considering. Surely all backs on a given sheet would be the same.
Both surviving letters indicate permission was requested and given before cards went into production. ATC's position in the Porter lawsuit indicates such as well. I don't think they completely ignored the New York law until someone complained; there's no evidence for this.

ATC miscuts strongly indicate all cards on a sheet, of all the ATC sets, had the same back brand.