View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 06:57 AM
Kyle May

Q1: I was just wondering if for financial or other reasons you could not add anything more to your collection, would you still enjoy it the same as you do now?
A1: I would put a pause on collecting if the financial situation is minor/temporary. I don't think that would constitute as not collecting; I think of it as Ross and Rachel on a break. However, if the financial situation is more serious, I would probably sell the collection. It's all about priorities at that point.

Q2: Is there any point in the future where you would consider your collection complete, or will there always be just one more item to acquire?
A2: I don't think a collection can ever be 100% complete. It's like wealth. Nobody hits $1M and says, "Well, that's good. My life is complete."
They work to build more wealth. Collecting takes on those same characteristics where even if certain aspects of a collection are complete, the entire body of work will just grow to include other aspects and focuses. I'm currently working on a Hall of Fame PC, with 1 playing days card of each Hall of Famer possible. When that's complete, I'll probably finish up what's left of The Monster. After that, I'll probably target another Tobacco set, '33 Goudey,
or Cleveland team sets. The list can go on from there.

Q3: Is collecting all about continuous acquiring, or enjoying what has already been collected?
A3: It certainly isn't about continuous acquiring, at least not when an unlimited amount of funds are at your disposal. You absolutely have to enjoy what you've already collected, but the desire for more is what keeps collectors going.

Q4: Is collecting a sickness that never has an end?
A4: Before I answer this, I need to know. Do you or have you ever worked for the government?

Q5: What good is a collection if you have so many thousands of items that you don't even know what you have?
A5: Every collector is different. I do think order and organization is key with any collection, but some people prefer quantity over quality, while others prefer quality over quantity.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame