View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Mike Blai$dell

Default Chicle High Numbers

Hi Jeff, I have never seen an uncut sheet of the Chicle's either and your theory is a possibility. 30+ years ago, there was an archive find of National Chicle Gum materials which included artwork and a couple of uncut proof sheets of several non-sports issues as well as original artwork for the football set (and a few baseball). If I remember correctly the non-sport proof sheets were 12-card sheets - a multiple of the 36 card football set. Rumor has it that there was also unissued football artwork found at the time.

It is interesting that the original plans were for 240 cards. With only 8 NFL teams at the time that would have meant cards for just about all of the players in the league. If you look at the letter I posted it states "it is our intention to publish a photo of every professional league player". I think there are a couple reasons why the set never reached 240. First, the cards didn't sell as well as expected. Second, the letters I have between Chicle and the Eagles include request after request from the Chicle Company for player/team photographs. I imagine Chicle had a difficult time getting the photos from the teams which also made their lofty goal of 240 impossible to reach.

Another interesting note about the set is the back variations that can be found with the first 24 cards.

Mike