View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Default Ullman Postcards

Posted By: fkw

I have seen 2 of the Cubs team in the last 7 years. (as usual, I was the under bidder on this one). At the time I saw the first one (about VG) in 1999 I wasnt into the Ullmans, but always remembered them because of the wood border. Back in 1999 SCD only listed one postcard in this set (Donlin), so it was no big deal to me that there was a Cubs Team, since I knew for fact the Checklist was way off on how many were in the set. About the same time I saw the Cubs team in 1999, I picked up a group of 4 for $40 ea. (C.Mathewson, Ames, Donlin, McGinnity) and have followed them closely ever since, watching the checklist grow. I have always thought I'd see another of the Cubs team, but it took about 7 years til another showed on eBay. In my opinion I believe it is even rarer than the NY "Worlds Champions" cards.

Its funny why a NY Postcard Company would print a Chicago Team, but not one of their Giants???? I think the Cubs team was issued a year after the NY cards, maybe right after the 1906 World Series. While the NY cards were issued right after the 1905 World Series (or early 1906 season). The Iron Arm McGinnity actually has the Champion Flag in the background, and some players are wearing uniforms that say "Worlds Champions" on the front.