View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 10:50 PM
Ed McCollum

Default His name was Brandon. Never knew a last name

He contacted me via a blog called BloopSingle.com. Back in 2009, I reached out to the blog to see if anyone that visited might have any Howe-stamped cards. Several weeks later, Brandon emailed me, originally saying he had Howe’s complete set of 525 t206s with the stamp. Then the story changed to he was Howe’s grandson and grandpa had given him hundreds of cards but he had lost most of them. Called BS on that as I knew Howe had no grandchildren then the story changed to he had one card given him by an elderly gentleman who had lived in his apartment complex and he sent a scan of the card. I asked for a photo of the card to prove he really owned it and he sent a photo with the card on a Los Angeles Times newspaper with that days date and appropriate headline in it. And the request for $1,000. Told him no way and offered $60 which was as much as I ever offered.

Over the course of the next year, I’d email about every two or three months and again offer the $60. Approximately a year later he made the threat to destroy the card if I didn’t pay the $1,000. I counter offered the $60 and never heard from him again. Several months later, every email to his address bounced back as no longer being valid or existing.

I still have the scans of the card but have never seen it show up on eBay or anywhere else. The BloopSingle.com website hasn’t been updated since 2012 and my guess is Brandon, and the card, have dropped off the face of the earth.