Thread: baseball books
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 10:38 AM

Being a Cobb fan, I agree with Matty6.
I recommend reading both books that were written by Al Stump, and in the order they were published: The first book, Cobb was alive and had complete editorial control over Stump. So Cobb comes off as the mis-understood. Stump had no choice but to write it the way Cobb TOLD HIM TO. The next Cobb book by Stump, 30 years later(Cobb is dead), literally mirrors the first. Stump will tell you what Cobb said actually happened(mainly fights), but what Cobb TOLD Stump to say in the first book.
Again, I recommend that you get both and read them in order.
The books are titled My Life in Baseball: The True Record, and, Cobb: A Biography.

My Life in Baseball was ghostwritten by Stump. Cobb: A Biography was a follow up piece written after Cobb died. It was a reflection by Stump on his time with Cobb.

The Stump autobiography came out a few months after Cobb's death. Thirty years later, Stump wrote his own biography of Cobb.
Please read both - one right after the other-in the order they were published.
Also get your hands on the movie "Cobb". Which is a great start before you read the books. The movie is not as Cobb in his playing years, but Stump following Cobb during the months before the first book. I bet if you watch the movie, then read the books will really be the way to go.