View Single Post
Old 09-26-2002, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Default Would someone describe to me how to hire a sniper?

Posted By: Tom

The whole 'insane-no one's gonna top it' bid isn't always that. Plus...sometimes people just jack you up when they know it's YOU bidding on the item. So.....after getting sniped on just one too many, I decided to join the ranks of the snipers. I've never had a bid NOT placed by a sniping software but I've also not won every item I bid on. The main benefit that I see is you don't get those 'bumpers' that just keep bidding up $1 or $5 to see what your ceiling bid is. With 5-10 seconds to go, your bid is lodged. If it wins, so be it. If it doesn't, that's the way the cookie bounces......I don't necessarily agree with the whole procedure but it has eliminated some of the cost that I've assumed when I bid a buttload early on in the auction. The other deal is that you can put in two bids on the same item with sniper software. You can put in a bid at 10 seconds left that's your highest bid and then one for 4-5 seconds with your REALLY highest bid. If the lower bid hits and it doesn't go up, you're fine. If someone bumps you, then you get another shot. Anyway, try it out. It only costs about 1% of the item total anyway and that's a negligible cost.