View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
As much as he was a fan favorite, the problem with Mays is that he has become quite a bitter person in recent years. And, he is turning off a lot of his fans. I see
Mays in Cooperstown every Summer on HOF weekend, and he is not a "friendly" guy.

TED Z
Ted, I think you are correct, but why did attitude not affect the value of Ted Williams' stuff? (you know - the 'other' Ted )

Like Mays, I think Hank Aaron has also been the victim of his own attitude. As a kid, his card was just a notch below Mays and Mantle, but when, in later life, I read his negative comments toward Texas, expressed because of the racism he had to endure when playing there, I lost a lot of respect for him. I lived in East Texas, where racism was as bad as anywhere in Texas, and Aaron was just a great baseball player - plain and simple. Perhaps the adults were as bad as he portrayed them, but kids loved him - we didn't realize that to him we were just little racists who hadn't yet grown up to be losers. Guys like Aaron and Mays make you appreciate Jackie Robinson that much more.

Note to Hank and Willie: Old and bitter is no way to spend your golden years.