View Single Post
Old 07-11-2022, 01:44 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Genuine question and this is not meant negatively, I am genuinely interested.

Why would I take advantage of an advance at all unless I am in desperate straits for liquidity? Especially if it costs anything in points of sellers commission?

Is there something I am missing or is it as straight forward as immediate need like a pawn situation? I just have waited for my traditional payout and if it exceeds a acceptable amount of time, I would not use that house again.

Just wondering if there is an advantage to this I am not seeing.
I agree that if it cost something in terms of the commission it would be a questionable decision and I would recommend it only if someone was desperate for money quickly.

But assuming the same commission, if someone said to you, you can have $30K in three months or $10K now and $20K in three months, I don't see the drawback in taking $10K now. There is of course the possibility that the collectible market could crash before the auction....but 67% down across the board would mean there are probably a lot more issues in the world than just collectibles crashing.

I would also add that it might depend on what you are consigning. If it is fairly standard stuff like T206s and Goudeys I think the expectation of the result won't change that much in a few months. If it is more speculative, recent "shiny stuff" then I would be more cautious.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 07-11-2022 at 01:46 PM.