View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 05:54 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default A Pleasant Dilemma Explained

After posting this thread initially, I was contacted by a forum member who knew and presumably was a friend of Pee Wee Reese. He is older (aren't we all?) and generously offered to send me a Pee Wee Reese autograph without compensation. Almost before I could thank him, he had mailed the card below.

The next morning my friend Mike posted his nearly identical offer in the thread that was well received by me and the forum. Mike said that the 3x5 card he posted was his last Reese auto and he wanted me to have it.

That's the dilemma. I contacted Mike privately and explained the situation. I suggested that he keep his autograph at least until I saw the one coming in the mail. This was in no way a reflection on Mike, his offer or his autograph.

Both parties were very generous and acted independently. I also contacted the first donor and explained the situation to him. Since he corresponded privately, I asked his permission to "out" him and he granted me that privilege. He is not a frequent poster, but obviously a genuine collector willing to help an unknown collector (that's me) and I appreciate both his offer and Mike's equally.

His name is Larry Moe and his screen name is qed2190

I am more than pleased with the autographed card that Larry sent. As a friend of Pee Wee and having passed my own rigid authentication process, I am keeping this card. In my little green book I also have autographs of Erskine and Branca by the way. Mike understands. Larry understands. All is good. (At least until one of the autograph guys says it isn't good.)

I have picked up a few more of the missing autographs since my original post.
The three I lack at this point are Gil Hodges, Billy Martin & Jackie Robinson.

When I finish or die trying, I will post the entire collection either by position in pairs or with a pair of team collages. At this point I do not want to cut up the autograph book so a display place is not in my plans, but it would be nice.

We talk about the bad actors in the hobby a lot. The good guys deserve more recognition and this is my way of offering it.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.