View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 02:43 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
Hello Jerry, your summary on the packs is interesting although I differ on some accounts. One I'd enjoy discussing with the experts would be the ornate GQ pack. Can you provide any reference to the ornate GQ packs being used in 1888 to distribute N162 cards? Jay's packs date to May 1887 and Nov. 1889, neither being ornate. Likewise, the Round Album which was released in July of 1889 has the plain looking pack depicted (the N162 album, A36, still being offered). GQ was the "cheap" brand in 1887 and perhaps remained so until ATC merger, selling for only 5 cents/10 count pack (Old Judge and Dogs Head were both 10 cents/pack of 10). Maybe the ornate pack is post ATC merger, perhaps no cards inserted? Thoughts?
Some time ago there was a debate here about the two different GQ card formats and the two different design packs. After it settled the relationship was as I display them:
1887 GQ-t1 (plain) N175 - 1888 GQ-t2 (ornate) N162.
I know the GQ-t1 is advertised on a Round Album page. The two GQs must have sold at the same time at least for a long overlapping period similar to the OJ and the Dogs Head's brands.

The GQ-t2 counter boxes are more plentiful than the GQ-t1 boxes and the N162 more plentiful than the N175s. The GQ-t2 packs were better sellers and as you say they were the cheaper smoke.

Possibilities:
1. GQ-t1 had N175 - GQ-t2 N162 cards. (Counter boxes, pack and card match design.)
2. GQ-t1 had N175 and N162- GQ-t2 no cards.
3. Both GQs had both cards.

ATC? Why?