View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 03:51 PM
Peter F

Default Willow Grove? Never heard of it.

I grew up with parents who collected antiques, so I was dragged to all these antique shows and auctions so I started collecting vintage baseball cards. When it came time for this show, my parents were more than happy to drive me the 2 hours or so from Brooklyn to the GW Motor Lodge.

The night before these shows I remember my mind would be swimming with dreams of baseball cards. I could barely sleep I was so excited.

We would get there when the show opened, they'd give me $20 and then take off and go to flea markets and antique shows.

I remember picking up my 34 Goudey Appling and Gehringer for $3.50 each but I left the Hank Greenberg there since it was 6 bucks. Too much. I also remember getting a Bob Gibson rookie for 50 cents (35 years later it graded a 4) and 59 Kaline for a dime. I'm thinking this was a 1977 show. Which was also the show I saw 1971 Topps High Number Ron Swoboda for the first time.

Do you remember when you saw a specific card for the very first time?

I remember many of the dealer names from TTS's and then SCD but one dealer memory I had from the actual show was that Irv Lerner had a table in the back, and I checked the chart and my 40 year old memory was correct.

Ted, Tom Reid gave me some advice at the NYC show at the Roosevelt Hotel. I showed him the 33 Maranville I bought for a dollar. and she said, "that's okay, but don't by cards with writing on them." I hadn't realized that someone wrote 'Boston Braves" on the FRONT of the card.

Great thread.

Last edited by WillowGrove; 12-13-2017 at 05:11 PM.