View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 02:07 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I hope it's okay to share this story (lifted from SABR bio page):

Yankees (and former Met and Pirate) 2B Neil Walker's father was Tom Walker a right-handed pitcher in the 1970's and this is his connection to Roberto:

'Walker and Moore decided to play winter ball in Puerto Rico, along with Expos pitcher Balor Moore and some members of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Roberto Clemente was their manager. Years later Walker felt fate entered his life again. On December 31 Clemente planned to fly in a plane carrying supplies to earthquake victims in Nicaragua. Clemente told Walker and the other players to stay behind and enjoy New Year’s Eve in Puerto Rico.

That night Clemente’s plane burst into flames shortly after take-off and plunged into the dark waters. Walker said he would forever remember that day and how the island was devastated. Clemente’s fellow Puerto Ricans revered him. Out of respect for their fallen hero, the league canceled the balance of the season.

“I can still remember it like yesterday,” Walker said. “We left the airport and it was the last time I ever saw Roberto Clemente. He saved my life by not letting me get on the plane.”

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente