View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 10:33 AM

Default Auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
The same things have been said about the ending of auctions for years. People have tried to change things but the consensus is always that there will be some people that are unhappy with the way the auction ends (or at what time the auction ends.) I feel it is almost a broken record at this point and something you can plan on after every auction, the inevitable “I hate how this auction ended” type of post.

I am convinced there is no “right way” to end an auction.

I personally HATE the “each lot ending individually” format as I am always bidding on 30-40+ different lots and ending up with quite a few. Trying to balance that all out in 15 minute increments where sometimes you have 15-20 items all ending at the same moment and deciding where to bid and how much is impossible in that amount of time. I like the freedom to plan my bids out over time like the LOTG type format allows. On the other hand, if I was only bidding on one or two items in the auction then this format would probably be perfect. Again, this is my opinion.

I kind of agree with what Al reportedly told the poster above, “bid higher” as there is quite literally a format to do so. There is strategy in bidding in auctions and that isn’t the greatest strategy but if you 1.) trust the auction house, and 2) were willing go bid higher than the amount it sold for... then put in a max bid and get some rest.

I have lived in every time zone and I really didn’t notice that big of a difference... but then again I am a high functioning insomniac so that might help!?!
+1000 on the “lots ending individually issue”. As an active auction bidder, if I get in a bidding war on an item or two and lose, chances are the other lots I bid on will be closed if I try and go back to them. This has happened to me so many times over the years. Extra money to spend because I was taken out on one lot, and not being able to reallocate that money to another lot. It frustrates me as a bidder and would infuriate me as a consignor. Closing lots individually is literally taking money out of the consignors’ pockets because many bidders cannot go back and bid on closed lots.

Last edited by Vintageclout; 11-25-2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Spelling