View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 04:52 AM

Yet another example of why you should buy the card, not the holder. I know I'm in the minority, but to me "eye appeal" is everything, and not just one of many other equal factors that go into determining the value of a card. I don't know about everyone else, but I buy cards for their visual appeal, not because of the integrity of the cardboard slab. A minor crease here or there, or a rounded corner, or a bit of paper loss in an unobtrusive section of the card, to me pales in comparison to how sharp the image is, coloring, and centering - but the grading companies just evaluate the quality of the cardboard - and for some people, that's all that matters (cardboard collectors). Again, I see cards graded 6-8 all the time that I wouldn't even have in my collection (even if I could afford them), due to some appearance issue that the grading companies don't take into consideration. But the grading companies have come to have a stranglehold on the hobby, and we've let them do it, so that little number on the upper right is now much more important than the actual card itself. Sad.