View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 05:44 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
It is possible that this was a legitimate factory cut. I am well aware of all the reasons people like my friend Wonka (Hi John) think it is not possible. But let me throw out a possible scenario.

We are reasonably certain at this point that Wagner and Plank (and a couple of others) were added at the end of the 150 series. A small number of those made their way into Sweet Cap packs. It is possible that they were printing Piedmont sheets with the intention to distribute them when they were notified of the need to stop the press to pull the Wagner. Maybe a very
small number of those actually made it into pack resulting in only one surviving. Or maybe some were cut at the factory but never put into packs and an employee brought it home for his kids.

The point is that for me the three previously known examples (two obvious printer scraps and a hand cut card in the '80's) are too small of a sample to draw a definitive conclusion. I am not saying that it definitely happened in this way. I am just saying that something like this is possible. And IMHO, a look at the scan is insufficient for making a definitive determination on style of cut. By outward appearances, I think it people were not biased to assume it was not factory cut, no red light would be going off when seeing that card. It looks good.

And regardless of aptness of the slab, it is a spectacular card with one of four known Piedmont backs.
JimB
Jim,

All very plausible and not crazy in fact well thought and could have happened. As usual you make good solid points it would be hard to disagree with you and impossible to say you’re 100% wrong. Impossible because none of us will ever truly know unless we become clairvoyant and or have firsthand experience or knowledge of the factory floors in 1909.

What I will say for what that’s worth as I claim to be no expert here. I feel the above Plank does not warrant the numerical grade based upon the images and given what I have seen of the Plank cards to date and my limited hobby experience.

Can one disagree with me sure can in fact it appears SGC does. Just as I can make my up my mind to say better look at this thing as AUTH regardless of that flip.

I will say that one (me) doesn’t get the warm and fuzzies to go guns blazing open checkbook at a card with a super double seal of approval and then see that Cobb above only to look back at that bottom edge of the above Plank.

Also I would add I would be lying if I didn’t look over my shoulder at my other monitor with a screen saver full of my SGC graded cards cycling thru and say to myself man I hope I’m wrong here and they are 100% correct.

Cheers,

John