View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Default Grading blank backed cards

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I know it stings to have an otherwise beautiful card get dinged because of back damage, particularly when the card has a blank back.

At the same time, the grading scale is what it is, and unfortunate as it may be, I definitely agree with it. To me it's like saying that the card is gorgeous, well-centered, great color and gloss, no wrinkles, but has four soft corners, it should be graded without considering the corners, because the soft corners are just one flaw and the rest of the card is dynamite. If you buy into the idea that we assign higher values to cards based on their condition, then it's only right to factor in all the components that make up a card's condition.

The back of a card is a part of the card. To me, having a scrape of paper loss of a blank back is no different from having a scrape of paper loss of a blank spot on the front of the card - it's paper missing from the card that should be there. I want it factored into the grade. If I got a card in a 4 or 5 holder, and it had paper loss on the back, I'd be invoking the grading company's guarantee.

-Al