View Single Post
Old 11-07-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
This is a little earlier than what you were looking for but I'll throw it on here anyway. It's a student writing about the Yale football team in 1886 with comments on several players including Harry Beecher.

Rob M.

"...Our room faces the New Haven Green, which puts me in mind of the Boston Common every time I look at it. There are thirteen Exeter men here, including Wurtenburgh, Sykes Lyman...Wurtie is doing fine work on the team. He is sub. half & quarter back. He does not want to do much football playing this year and so has not worked to get on the team. Ben is a half back but is too slow altogether. He is punting pretty well. He broke his nose in one of the practice games but it is well now. You ought to see how they play football here. The go in to win. There is three times as much slugging in a practice game as there is in the Exeter or Andover game. Hanson played one evening and Pike who was playing opposite him told him to get onside. Hanson did not stir and Pike drew off and hit him right in the eye, then Hanson as soon as he recovered himself hit Pike a dandy on the nose and they had a regular fight until the Captain yelled to them to stop. Hanson had a terrible eye and Pike a skinned nose. You ought to see Beecher play. He is something like Harding, one minute he is in the midst of a crowd and the next he has the ball and running for the goal. He has not layed up at all. He had a sore leg but plays just the same. Wurtie could get halfback if he wanted it but says he wants to study this year and then play football next year. I am afraid Ben will not stay here long. He flunks in great style. Himball played first base on the Freshman base ball team at Princeton in the Freshman-Sophomore game..."

Attachment 210818

Attachment 210819
WOW!!!!...let me know if you ever get tired of that!!