View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Default What are the rarest post WWII cards (1945-1979)

Posted By: TONY Galovich

Some of the items being mentioned are not rare or even scarce, which are 2 of the most overused words in the hobby
Maybe a graded card with a Total Pop in the single digits should be considered as rare
But the rarest of the rare are Unique cards
One Known
I recall a conversation with veteran collector Clay Hill many yrs ago & we were discussing rare cards & he thought there were over 100 to as many as 200 cards where only one card was known, but they covered all era's
of course that number probably has changed as new cards have surfaced over the yrs,
But I still bet there are over 100++ cards that Unique
But for postwar cards that number is probably much smaller but there are probably dozens of
Unique cards in the hobby
Now If someone wanted to try & identify all Unique cards in the hobby that would be a interesting project
Maybe we can start sending in our candidates for Unique hobby cards & start a Xlist of Known Unique cards
I know a dealer who had over 100 59 fleers #68 in his inventory, so I think that removes that card from the rare category
But 2 issues I had that are killers are the Felin Franks & 55 topps stamp issues, items that rarely surface in any grade