View Single Post
Old 09-09-2002, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Default Does slabbing create value?

Posted By: David

My guess is that NASA and AAA are holdering vingtage clippings rather than modern xeroxes or similar reprints. I've never seen one of the items in person, so this is my guess and won't make an issue if someone disagrees. The significance is that, as some of these old guides (not the Funk & Wagnal dictionary) are expensive, the profit margin would not be as momentous-- though a sale of a single $400 Joe 'Mike Mitchel' Jackson would more than pay for the price of the original Spalding or Reach Guide (My guess is these guides sell around $100-$170 each). If they were selling modern reprints, it would be easy to shut them down. Even eBay won't allow someone to sell Xerox counterfeits.

Someone somewhere said that he beleived that many of the buyers of these items were greedy themselves, as they were hoping to resell the 'relative bargains' for a profit. The more I think about it, the more I tend to agree. It's kind of like those dolts who buy the overpriced stuff from SAH, then turn around and put them on eBay the next day to hoping to make a killing. They are half victim and half greedy.