View Single Post
Old 09-08-2002, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Default Does slabbing create value?

Posted By: Tom A 

If a low quality common card is graded, does the fact that it is in a PSA/SGC holder (or even a Topps T206 holder) increase its sale value?

The reason why i ask this is in the course of buying cards on ebay, i have happened to win a few cards that were already slabbed. I have not paid anymore for the card than i would have if it was unslabbed, so i don't put a premium on it, but was wondering what other people think. In my case, I am building a low quality, anything-goes-in T206 set. I generally bid a max of $10-12 on commons i need, no matter what the condition. I am right around the 450 card mark doing this, and all but 3 are unslabbed. The 3 that i received in holders are a PSA 1 Pattee, PSA 4 (MC) Stanage, and a Topps T206 Becker. I am inclined to rip these out of the holders so they "match" the rest of the set (besides, the psa ones don't fit in the box), but at the same time i have wondered whether they would sell for more than I could get a replacement for. obviously, i'm the sort of low income collector who would be happy for a $5-10 profit to spend on another card.

Along the same lines, most of the Topps T206 cards are commons in conditions that i normally can find in my price range, but they seem to sell at a premium. Should i put the Becker i have back up on ebay and find another one sans holder?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?