View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 07:57 PM

Default What percentage are graded?

A while ago we had a thread about the percentage of pre-war cards that are graded. The consensus seemed to be that it's in the low single-digits. And that's got to be right. However, anyone who is curious about this question is not interested in low-grade Heinie Groh strip cards. They're interested in significant cards. This is harder to figure a priori, so I thought that a poll is in order.

So the question for the poll: if you have a T205 Matty, is it graded or raw? If you have more than one, put your best one in the poll and then mention any other(s) in the comments.

I picked the T205 Matty because it's a significant but not a rare card. So we should get a decently sized sample. I also picked it because I don't have one, so I'm not biasing the results any.

One downside I can see to picking this card is that T205 is a popular set for set builders, and plenty of set builders like to keep their cards in binders, so the proportion of raw T205 cards is probably greater than for cards from sets that people don't build.

Another problem with doing a poll like this here is that I gather that the people on the board are not casual baseball card collectors, so you folks are really not a random sample. On the other hand, collecting pre-war baseball cards isn't the sort of thing that people tend to do casually - so maybe skewing the sample towards serious collectors isn't that big of a deal.