View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 AM

I am not an expert by any means but I ask myself a simple question; statistically how likely is it that a cardbpoard or paper item has survived intact for 80 or so years?

What I mean by this is the following. A sign or poster this size was most likely meant to be nailed to a telephone or electric pole, pasted on the side of a building or wall or taped to a store window. This means MOST of them would have been destroyed by the weather or damaged in some other way. Then there is the paper drives of WW II. A baseball card would be easy to store but something large like this poster would take up more space thus a Mother would be mroe tempted to donate it to a paper drive.

Finally, the subject matter. Why is it always big or well known names that survive? Why is it that these things show up on eBay instead of a major auction?

Go look at ACOFIND, fourducks, style_quest and myjunk66. These sellers on eBay ALWAYS have some type of big name poster or sign for sale (Winchester, Remington, Harley Davidson, Indian, Coke, Pepsi, Mt Dew, Dr. Pepper, etc). It is funny how they have a constant stream of large paper or cardboard items of various subjects, that are at least 50 years old and in similiar condition. Then, when you do an internet search on that particular item, you see they have been reproduced or they are a fantasy piece.

David