View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 12:48 AM
John Mavroudis

Default Considering the circumstances...

I've seen many a pitching gem (Nolan Ryan fanning 14, 1-hitters, etc) but considering the circumstances... I'll repeat what I posted in the "Most Historic Thread"...

August 10, 1989: San Francisco Giants vs. Cincinnati Reds
DAVE DRAVECKY's comeback game.

He lost half of his deltoid muscle when they removed a cancerous tumor... The doctors told him he would never pitch again. About a year later he warmed up in the bullpen and received one of 10 standing ovations that day.

He pitched seven innings and gave up only one hit before finally getting touched up for 3 runs in the 8th. The Giants nailed down the victory, 4-3. Unbelievable game.

He would go on a bit later to pitch in Montreal where he would pitch outstanding ball for another five or so innings before his arm snapped. I remember that one, too... watching on tv and seeing his arm wrap around his body as he released the pitch... he looked like he got shot.

He would go on to lose that arm... but his strength and determination will always stay in my memory. I was in the bleachers that day, screaming my lungs out for him. AMAZING day.

www.zenpop.com