Thread: Prewar Cards
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 08:17 AM

1987 was the year I was "introduced" into baseball cards. All the hype over these 2 guys from Oakland, and this other guy who could play baseball AND football was enough to make any 12 year old want in!

Unfortunately, looking back, I tend to think that speculation, along with a monthly priceguide, made "collecting" cards near impossible for kids new to the hobby in that era. As I read your stories (from the 50's,60's, and 70's) it seems you guys collected out of the pure joy of it. All the kids my age in the late 80's could quote you the book price on EVERY card they owned! We didnt really "collect" cards, rather we invested in them....it was the stock market for teenagers!

I dont ever remember seeing or even being interested in pre war cards though. Although im certain they had value at that time, I just could not relate to a bunch of dead guys who I never saw play. And as a kid, anything THAT old MUST be out of my price range anyway, right? I was much more interested in guys named Bo, Will, and Don than guys named Cy and Ty.

Now, some 23 years later...at age 35...ALL I buy are pre war cards! I still cannot relate to any of those dead guys who I never saw play at Comiskey, or Wrigley, but the beautiful, vivid colors and amazing "artwork" on these cards is light years ahead of anything I ever collected as a kid!