View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Problem with that is he cheated to inflate his stats. None of the other players did anything to make themselves better at baseball. That's the shame of Bonds, McGwire, Sosa etc. x1000 others. No HOF, remove the records, forget about those cheats and let's move on. Maris is the single season HR champ, Aaron is the all time HR champ. Anyone caught doing that should get what Rose and Jackson got, BANNED. McGwire admitted it, Sosa busted, Arod busted and Bonds will get what he's got coming to him next year in court. I hope they throw the book at that jackass. He's the worst thing since segregation to ever happen to baseball's glorious history. SCREW BARRY BONDS!
I'm no Barry Bonds fan, but in terms of cheating I'd say he couldn't hold a candle to Cobb or some of the great dirty ballplayers of the deadball era, where spiking, punching, rubbing the ball with shoe polish, mud, spit, vaseline, sandpaper, etc., holding on to guy's belts as they tried to steal bases, slugging them in the gut as they ran by, etc... the one-umpire days of baseball were the dirtiest, most dishonest, ugliest baseball, filled with the most cheating ever seen, no question. The simple reason was, there was only one umpire and they could get away with it.

MLB basically tacitly approved of steroids until they were widespread, and you can bet that many players of bygone eras would be juiced if they would have played in the steroids era! That doesn't make any of this okay, but you have to keep it all in perspective that cheating in sports isn't some kind of new low for humanity, its always been there and maybe always will be.