View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 09:42 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi Dan

I recall being in school in 1947 when us kids were comparing the BOND BREAD regular issue (48) cards. So, that timeframe could have been in the
Spring of 1947 (or the Fall of 1947).

As I have mentioned, the Jackie Robinson cards were never marketed in my town (Hillside, NJ); therefore, I cannot provide a timeline for this issue.

TED Z
I can't believe you cant remember for sure Ted, it was only 70 years ago! So unless someone recalls or has evidence that these cards were issued prior to June, it sounds like maybe the only way to confirm which came first would be to determine the exact date that Jackie signed on with Bond Bread. If it was early in the year it would at least leave the window open for the regular issued set of 48 cards being released in Spring of 1947 (which might make sense with spring training and a new season approaching), whereas, if he signed on closer to mid-year it would exclude the possibility of the release of the 48 card set in the Spring of '47 (unless they were issued at different times throughout the season), and lend support to the white-bordered Bond Bread Promo card being the first issued card (in June).