View Single Post
Old 06-22-2002, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Default Castillo's hitting streak

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Jamie,

If you consider the fact that the Major Leagues are not a Venezuelan league but an American one (and Canada) then why should there even be as many Venezuelans or Dominicans or Puerto Ricans as there are? Because they are good players! That's why. I don't mean that Venezuelans or Dominicans or Puerto Ricans are good players per se; I mean, for example, that Pedro Martinez is a great player who is also Dominican. He is not in the Majors because he is Dominican, he was not excluded from the Majors because he is Dominican, he is in the Majors because he is an incredible pitcher. Period.

Based on your numbers, 1 in every 10 players that have ever played in the Majors were not American. Are you saying that is too few? If so, why?

To draw a similar parallel, are there too few caucasians in the NBA? Is it harder to get to and stay in the NBA if you are white? Or, are there simply fewer caucasians who can play NBA-caliber basketball? If we used population numbers, only 12.3% of players in the NBA would be African-American. 75% would be white.

Again, I sort of see what you are saying about the minors and what you shared about the experiences of your friends. But you still didn't answer my question about why it would be harder for someone of Latin American descent to stay in the Majors? I'm not trying to belabor the issue, but I am genuinely interested to hear your explanation.

Are you saying that you think the Major Leagues are prejudiced against Latin Americans? If this is what you are saying I guess I'd like you to just say it. That way it can be discussed. If it's not what you're saying maybe you could state that as well.

Thanks for your post. I found it interesting.

-Ryan