View Single Post
Old 06-22-2002, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Default Castillo's hitting streak

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Jaime,

Why would Latin American players have to work harder to get into the Majors? I think I can sort of see what you might be trying to say, but what I really don't get is how they would have to play harder than americans to stay? Would you mind elaborating on that?

It would seem to me that once you are in the Major Leagues you will have to play at a Major League level. Some might not have to work as hard as others due to raw talent. Others might have to take extra bp and field grounders for hours longer every day. Both will have to play at a Major League level to stay in the Majors. But where do Latin Americans fit into this?

Also, I don't think Castillo will break Dimaggio's streak simply because even at 34 games now he still needs a 22 game hitting streak just to tie! 22 games is a nice streak in itself.

Castillo is just about the only style of hitter (like Ichiro) who has even a remote chance at Joe D's record. It makes the 56 games look even more impressive. Here's a revealing stat:

Joe DiMaggio had nearly twice as many home runs (15) during his 56-game streak as Castillo has hit in his entire career (8)!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Ryan