View Single Post
Old 03-29-2015, 08:48 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Problems with both formsts

My biggest issue with the "lot by lot" format is it limits where I can spend my money if I get outbid late in an auction. For instance. I am far from being a whale. But last night there were a dozen or so of the old judges that I was interested in. I didn't have the funds to buy all the lots I was interested in so because I was winning 2-3 lots I was effectively blocked due to fund limitations from bidding on the other lots I was interested in.

In a B&L auction a few months ago the other lots I was interested in but not high bidder on closed while I was still winning my financial limit of cards. So, when I eventually got outbid on the lots I was winning and those lots exceeded my perceived fair market value I went to sleep with money in my pocket for next time. Money I would have been willing to spend on lots that I no longer had the ability to bid on because they had already closed. So, in my case the sellers lost money because I could not bid on cards when my funds became available late in the auction.

However, auctions like last night are a mess for us east coasters. I got outbid at 3:55 am. I was not willing to go higher for the lot I was tracking at that point but since I was sleeping I was unable to go see if I was willing to spend my money elsewhere. The auction closed and I still have my money in my pocket.

Both formats have issues. Both prevented me from being a buyer recently. The lot by lot format results in lower total sales prices in my opinion though. But as a small time player right now I'm probably better off on the BST now anyway.

Last edited by BleedinBlue; 03-29-2015 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Fixing typos