Thread: Tickets
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2017, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
With the help of baseball-reference.com, I finally went and documented significant dates in Steve Garvey's career in hopes of snagging some key tickets. I already had the debut and some others, like the consecutive game streak. I have yet to stumble upon something less known, such as his first triple (for example). It probably helps that these tickets are mostly 70s/80s, but I would guess finding the better ones will provide difficult and/or expensive.

One stub I did find and wanted was in a larger lot that I thought I might win with a higher snipe and I still lost. I was surprised at the final price frankly. I asked the seller to pass along to the buyer my contact info, but they refused. If anyone bought a 20-30 1970s stub lot of Dodgers in the last month or so and may be willing to move one (assuming you didn't need it as well), please let me know. I can let you know the seller to see if you might have been the buyer, but it is a larger ebay seller who lists many, many, many lots of what looks like warehouse or overstock type collectible stuff.
Hi Curt,
My best advice to you is to make up a want list and circulate it amongst the ticket collecting community. This want list should preferably be organized by what town/team the ticket date occurred at. For example, San Diego Padres, and list all of the dates you are looking for. Baseball ticket collectors tend to have more tickets of the local team, although they may also have stashes of other misc. tickets. Casting a wide net and networking is the very best way to find the dates that you are looking for, because it literally is akin to finding a needle in a haystack.

Steve Garvey is not a super popular player amongst the collecting community (although he was one of my personal favorites). The fact that he played in the 1970's and 1980's is definitely an advantage as you surmised. Finding tickets to some of his random milestone should not prove to be particularly expensive.

If you have such a list, please feel free to send it to me at: scott.garner@att.net and I can begin to get your wants circulated and hopefully help you find some of the dates you are looking for. Have an idea in your mind of what you are willing to pay for a ticket and let collectors know this.

I have been a collector of regular game day baseball ticket for over 44 years and have a large network of baseball ticket collector friends. One last thought is that it's important to lookout for other peoples wants and reciprocate. Nothing makes me happier than to help another collector find something that they have been looking for. It's even cooler to have someone help you find something on your want list.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-24-2017 at 04:29 AM.