View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
What Koufax did was not "routine capitulation to a calendar".
I described it that way b/c what I'm arguing is that all religious ordinances are routine and ultimately arbitrary b/c they're all manifestations in our minds that are rooted in nothing that is part of the basic factual experience of life. By definition they are metaphysical thoughts/beliefs that are not measurable or demonstrable, and for that reason we can't even say that they are more significant than activities that might rightly be argued as fairly inconsequential ways for passing time, like games such as baseball--which someone else may quite literally treat with enough serious as to be their own experience of "religion."

So for Koufax, or anyone, in the act of *choosing* to follow their particular religion, to seem to have a negative impact on how a fan or teammate experiences their "religion" and that's where I'm arguing it may be improper to think that anyone holds the authority of choosing sides and assessing who is more justified at being resentful of the other based on their opinions on how to live.

But I guess debating religious philosophy is moving far afield of the OP's intent for the thread, which although he asked which do people 'prefer' he also couched that from the perspective of collectible value since he specifically requested the opinions of dealers, I guess meaning those with a sense of ongoing market value for collectibles.

Although I'm certainly not a dealer and not really even a big re-seller, mostly an acquirer at this stage, I suspect overall the answer to that is Clemente, although there have been some lower pop high-end Koufax items that came to market recently that went for quite eye-popping amounts (maybe that So Cal $$$ !?, and in the long-run unsustainable?).

I wonder if a more apt comparison would have been Clemente compared to Aaron and Mays, given the overlapping similarities that eliminate most of the points raised in the thread: all offensive players, same basic position no less, world-class HoF talents, virtually overlapping similar-length careers, and of course similar basic race issues (the language issue Clemente also dealt with being a notable addition)...