View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hey Barry,
You misspelled (typo) enthusiasm.
The questions you raise were answered long ago in this thread. It is on the front page because the original poster (hey Stephen) asked if it could be and was told it was ok. It is a vintage card experiment that has some entertainment value. It is one thread on the front page out of 35. There is no harm in it and most likely other threads like it wouldn't be allowed again, at least very soon. It's baseball cards....We should be happy for Stephen to give it a try (hey Stephen) even though I have to agree, he has a big time uphill battle. I still think he ends up with some '87 Donruss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I'm a grumpy old man- well, only 64 but unquestionably grouchy, but I do have a couple of observations to share.

I don't know Stephen but he seems like a genuinely good guy and I appreciate his enthusisam for the hobby. But I'm not sure he's getting any closer to his goal. He trades commons for HOfers, then trades HOFers for more commons, and I don't know if that will ever get him a 52 Mantle. Plus, with the price of the card increasing dramatically, I don't even think he is keeping up with inflation. For every $100 score he makes, the 52 Mantle becomes $200 more expensive.

Also, why is this on the main page? At the end of the day, Stephen is just a guy trying to add a great card to his collection. Isn't that what everyone is trying to do? If I'm saving up to buy a Wagner, but need to sell a lot of cards to afford it, can I do so on the main page? Seems like this is a BST issue.

Anyway, sorry to be so grumpy. Just my three cents.