Thread: REA fun!
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2018, 06:57 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Not sure about the T205 Matty, as that has never been an area of collecting interest for me, but wrt the "Boom Goes the Dynamite", I don't think it is necessarily the "right person giving out information." We've seen a good number of cards experience an explosion at some point in time... whether it be the Sporting News Ruth, the e121 Ruth (Throwing variation), the '25 Exhibits Gehrig, '55 Topps Clemente, '47 Bond Bread, etc.

With each of those players, there is an element of intrigue that transcends the sport. With that, there has always been a premium placed on rookie cards.
Ruth, Gehrig, Jackie, Clemente. . . .if you are in this for investment purposes only there's most of your business plan right there. Transcend the sport. Iconic intriguing figures. Throw in Michael Jordan, Bobby Hull, maybe . . . a few others.

I thought the recent Kareem Abdul Jabbar auction at Golden was very instructive. An iconic figure who made a tremendous impact on his sport. Seemed to me that there was pretty muted demand for his stuff. Many items had one bid last time I looked at that auction (now closed). Hell, a week before it closed a ton of his stuff had zero bids. Yet people will pay $30,000 for a basketball card of a player frankly I have never heard of. I guess to each his own.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 11-01-2018 at 07:03 AM.