View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 06:46 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Default All depends......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think ultimately for many of these folks when push comes to shove the flip is going to trump the card.
Should the day come that substance triumphs over form and to hold value vintage high-grade cards will have to pass muster under a new kind of grading service that makes use of what technology can (in a cost-effective manner) reveal with regard to alterations, the flip might not triumph. I get it that such a scenario might be wishful thinking. However, I can see a path how it can come about -- a new grading service comes into being employing such technology while accompanied by a pronounced and well-run marketing campaign which exposes the significant likelihood that high-grade vintage cards with old flips are altered. Or maybe even SGC could bring it about it they ever get their act together and are willing to spend the bucks and engage the right marketing experts, while at the same time investing in such technology. This is not the hobby of yesteryear where cards sold for tens or hundreds of dollars, and thousand dollar cards were anomalies. We are now routinely in 5, 6 and 7 figure category, and it is about time our evaluation methods caught up.

How many posts have there been that the net54 community is only a very small subset of the collecting community, and that what is common knowledge on this Board is not generally known outside it. Well, change that reality and then there might (finally) be the real change so many of us are clamoring for.