Thread: Hunt Auction
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Default Hunt Auction

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

and prices were SKY high........I won about 5-6 lots but no cards. For the bats and memorabilia, they had about 3-5 lines going for phone bidders. When they got to the cards, they added probably 3-5 more lines. Interestingly there was a guy in the audience who bought probably 15 of the T206 lots for what I'd consider 150-200% of book. Conservatively, probably $30-$40K. The Southern Leaguers went for $200 each ungraded. They were ungraded cards, but mostly nice EX to EXMT cards. He'd have to get ALL 6's and some 7's to be able to break even on most of the lots. He said his ebay is JAYSACES or something like that......

Someone else in the audience bought about 5-6 lots of Cracker Jacks in the $30K range. Memorabilia, bats, etc went very strong as well although not quite as strong as caramel and T cards. I just can't see T206's selling for the prices they did. I will be selling my set soon if the prices continue to escalate.

Great atmosphere for the auction........if you haven't been to the Louisville Slugger museum, drop by sometime. Dan McKee was in attendance and Bryan Dec and a few others. Nice cocktail party/preview on Friday night before I went to see my Louisville cardinals stop on Rutgers.......

Think they may make this a yearly thing. The contributions of Louisville Slugger to the auction were no where near as heavy as the first one. Guess the archives maybe aren't as heavy as they'd thought. Interestingly, they had a LOT of photos that sold for very strong prices. Years back, Louisville Slugger donated literally 10's of 1000's of photos to the University of Louisville library, who now has supposedly the second largest grouping of baseball photos outside of the Hall of Fame.

On another note, Doug Allen from Mastronet was in attendance and bought quite a few lots that I bet will wind up in the their auctions down the road. Dave Bushing was also in attendance altough not buying as many lots of bats as he was the first time around.

My favorite item to view was the 1911 Addie Joss day photograph. Probably 8x10 or slightly larger from Van Oyen photography in Cleveland. Sold for approximately 62500 before the 10% kicker. Beautiful photo.