View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 02:02 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
Kevin...add one more to the list....Shoeless Joe Jackson. His coupled uncanny ability and “Black Sox” scandal will forever make him a National Cult Hero.

Joe T.
Pretty funny, Joe. I was typing the below as you posted. Not surprising as we have always thought pretty identically about all things cards...

From a sheer collecting standpoint, I find Shoeless Joe both fun and interesting. He has some popular classics, and then more obscure issues. There are some that get pricey, and other less so. For those who find lots of options daunting, his relatively small amount of cards may be an attractive aspect. As someone who grew up in the 80s collecting rookie cards, I also like how there is one clear-cut RC of Joe Jackson; it is also a smaller sized card, again in keeping with what I knew and liked as a kid (never been a fan of oversized, though can get down with a mini— thanks to the 75s and those Topps League Leader cards I bought tons of as a kid).

Cannot go wrong with the likes of Cobb, Wagner, Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Williams, any ultra popular player. That said I do wish Ruth had some more colorful cards, the likes of his Goudeys and the US Caramel notwithstanding.

Post War, I enjoy collecting so many different players. Mantle chief among them. I like the myriad ways he can be collected— basic run, basic Topps run, and then all the unique issues outside Bowman and Topps.

Modern, I collect Judge. Great looking array of cards, most in retro designs. Yankee fan favorite. Plays the game right. Hits cartoonish bombs that people love to watch. Gregarious persona to boot.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-23-2018 at 02:19 PM.