View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 11:44 PM
I@n Cl@rke

I answered 16-20 on the poll, but think my definition of vintage may have been off. I got my first cards as a kid in the early 80's, then got more serious in the late '80's.. collecting Giants autos at games and going to several card shows at the Moscone Center and Cow Palace with friends in SF. Btw- still remember the outcry over the price for a Muhammad Ali auto (I think $30, circa 1989), but we ran into him in the hallway and he gave me a freebie. He must have given out over a hundred freebies that day.

Anyway, I got my first beat up '50's-'60's HOFers at those shows (about age 12), and the vintage collection grew from ages 12-16 (lots of great card shops then too). The collection made a big leap in HS when two friends sold me their father handed down vintage collections CHEAP! for beer and sneaker money. Seems sacrilegious, but all parties involved were happy. I expanded slowly into Goudeys/T206s soon after.. then went NUTS in the late 90's when eBay first took off. Making my first "adult money" during summer internships, while still living those summers rent free at home was great food for the addiction!

I took most of my post college 20's off, then got back in full steam about 2-3 years ago. Have been totally hooked ever since. My interests still include the stuff I've always liked.. 50's/60's Topps/Bowmans, Leaf, Play Ball, Goudeys, the T205/T206/T202 (currently obsessed with T202) and 19th Century.

Still love it, and am greatful to know through this site that I am far from alone in my addiction.