View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
Leon, I guess it depends on how you look at it. I buy a case every year, and have no expectations of getting anything valuable. It's all manufactured scarcity anyway. My goal is the same as when I opened '71 packs as a kid- to put together a set, and to see the players I see at the ballpark.
Every year I get pretty close to a full set, with typically 2 extra near sets. The nice thing is that since the cards are worth very little everyone just sends each other whatever they need, with no worry about value.
To me it's just entertainment, not gambling. If the set rises in value over time (and Heritage seems to be one of the few modern exceptions that does, albeit incrementally) then fine, if not it's still fun.
Just like collecting as a kid.
It's kewl Anthony. I wasn't really trying to put it in a bad light I was only making an analogy. Heck, even gambling is entertainment....as long as there isn't addiction going on. I am sure there are no pre-war card addicts on the board. (as my nose grows). I just hope it keeps on going and some of those old-looking new cards get people interested in what we do. I surmise it does for some. If anyone remembers too, I had a brief encounter with some new card collectors in hotel lobby a few years back. They and I spoke for several minutes and it was cool understanding what they were doing, though I think they were opening a bit older Topps, if I recall correctly. Then a short time later that found our board and corroborated the experience. We all had a good time. And that my friend is what it is all about .

Last edited by Leon; 03-23-2012 at 01:35 PM.