View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 03:42 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL View Post
Fear Strikes Out about Jimmy Piersall
I bought the Warner Bros. 4 Film Favorite DVD a while back with Bang the Drum Slowly, Fear Strikes Out, The Pride of the Yankees and Cobb. Curiously, I have yet to watch the first two. I've been searching Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, et all trying to find high definition prints of both. I'll give it a bit more time. If I don't have any luck (I think that TCM will play them in the week leading up to opening day), I'll just break down and watch the DVD copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
I love Pride of the Yankees. Must have watched it a million times and Im usually not one for old black and white movies.
The Pride of the Yankees is one of my favorite baseball films, right behind The Natural. I've been pestering the heck out of Criterion to release it on blu-ray. They'd never released a baseball film (at least, not since they started issuing DVDs and blu-rays. I'd have to go through the list of films they issued on laser disc to be 100% sure) until about a year ago, when they did Bull Durham. The copy that TCM has shown a few times looks like it's benefited from a restoration. It's not merely the beneficiary of a new scan, some of the very minor image instability, age spotting and dirt I'd seen previously were removed. So, I'm hopeful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
The "When It Was A Game" DVD's/vids are a must.
Agreed. I've got the HBO blu-ray set, and watch them often. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to just crawl through the screen to watch the games in person.

Thank you all for the replies. I'll look at the posts about things I have not seen a bit later today when I'm feeling better. I'm going to crash out and let some medications work on me.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.