View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Michael S

Default 40 Years This Week-May 10, 1970

I am a little bit late with this as it was my intention to post this on May 10th but a busy schedule stopped me until today as well as a day to recover from last nights game and by the way, congrats to the Flyers for the comeback.

But the focus of this post is a salute to the greatest day in Bruins history and one of the greatest days in Hockey History, May 10, 1970. The day of the "Goal" by Bobby Orr.

Below is a couple of pics from that game including a shot of just after the goal and the start of the player celebration that you do not usually see. Also included is my program from that game handed down to me from my Dad. My Dad was at the game sitting in his usual seat in the Garden in Section 98, Row F, Seat 12. They were seats "hand picked" in the corner for the best view of the rink in the mid sixties by my Dad, Uncle and 2 friends because they heard about this kid on his way to Boston called Bobby Orr and they felt they better get seats as tickets could be hard to get. Very forward thinking and allowed me to be the toast of my Suburban Boston neighborhood growing up during the Big Bad Bruin Era of the late sixties, early seventies.

The program shows rough wear and stains because of the wild celebration after the game that was attended by my Dad in the legendary Garden bar called the "Iron Horse". Legend has it that the program was dropped in champagne and beer that was 6 inches deep on the floor of the bar that afternoon. The party continued on to our house through the night. As a 10 year old kid I was in awe taking it all in. You can also see that as a 10 year old, I did my own little ad-lib of the scorecard

To this day, myself and my Dad remain huge fans and fondly remember that great Mothers Day from 40+ years ago. Go Bruins!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg May 10-70-1.jpg (69.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg May 10-70-2.jpg (69.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg May 10-70-3.jpg (72.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg May 10-70-4.jpg (78.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg May 10-70-5.jpg (71.9 KB, 50 views)