View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 08:15 PM

Default AMCO Athletic Apparel Corp., Brooklyn, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Getting back on the pennant track...
Interesting pennants Doug, Marc, and Mike. I've had this convo off-line with some of you; but, for everyone's sake: I'll share what I know about the maker of these pennants....

First off, take note of the artwork featuring this right-handed batter. You've just seen three examples of it. It was used on many pennants from the 1940s. Many were made for the three New York teams; but, I've seen him on some Red Sox and Cubs pennants, even an L.A. Angels PCL pennant, so there's likely many more out there.

The Lion's share of these pennants to feature this artwork, however, were Brooklyn Dodger pennants, such as Doug's. So I began looking at these in closer detail, hoping to identify this mystery maker. And then I saw this classic pennant (attached below), and discovered the tiniest of subscripts written beneath the batter.

It reads, "OFF. LIC. AMCO, N.Y."

I'm still researching this company, but I have uncovered publications listing them to be a (small?) manufacturer of pennants as of 1946, when they were listed as AMCO Athletic Apparel Corp. of Brooklyn, NY. In addition to pennants, the company also manufactured athletic uniforms--many of which come up for sale on eBay regularly because they routinely feature clear, distinctive AMCO labeling.

Anyway, I hope to post a story on AMCO in the near future on one or both of my BLOGs; but, since this company has come into relevance, I thought I might give you all a preview of coming attractions.

In meantime, let's keep an eye out for more pennants with the AMCO batter. In addition to this distinctive batter/artwork, their pennants measure about 23" in length; have two pairs of tassels; and are monochrome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DodgersAMCOpennant.jpg (12.5 KB, 215 views)