View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Bill Gregory

Nelson, if you're doing vintage and pre-war exclusively, the 5600F would be a good choice. If you're at all dealing in cards with reflective surfaces, you don't want it, because it has a LED light source, which causes streaking.

Here's a topic I started on SCF about a year ago. I got my Canoscan 8400F for $60 including shipping. It has the same CCD scanning element the 5600F does, but instead of a LED lighting source, it has cold cathode fluorescent lamp. No streaking on any metallic or reflective surfaces:

http://www.sportscardforum.com/threa...-ve-ever-spent!!

There's a '61 Eddie Mathews (raw), and a '65 Philadelphia Football Paul Hornung (one touch) included in my scans, as well as Beckett and PSA slabbed cards. You should get a pretty good field what's capable with a wide range of cards.

The scans there were done right after I got the scanner. Since then, I've got my technique down, and can just rip through my cards.

My scanner has auto crop, and I'm sure yours would as well.

Good luck!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.