View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 06:44 PM
Brian

Default A Golder T205 set!

The 1912 T205 set is smaller and more manageable than the T206 (and it has fewer doubles and minor league nobodies) and stats and bios on the back
... What if we add to that set of about 200 different subjects the following: Connie Mack, Lajoie, Flick, Wagner, Crawford, Plank, Joe Jackson, Max Carey, Harry Hooper, GC Alexander, Stan Coveleski (Rookie), Casey Stengel (Rookie), Buck Weaver (Rookie), Ray Schalk (Rookie) and Wilbert Robinson (Coaching the Giants).
Also minor league cards with the same design as the Jimmy Collins in the T205 set of : Joe McCarthy, Edd Rousch; Jesse Burkett, Billy Hamilton, Jake Beckley, Joe Kelly, Rube Wadell and few of the other top former Major League greats who were still active in the minors as players or player-managers.... I think "Orator" Jim O'Rourke even played at age 60 in 1912 for some minor league team.

While we are dreaming we could have umpire cards for the active Umps in 1912, including future HOfers Klem and O'Day and cards for AL commissioner Ban Johnson and future HOF owners Barney Dreyfus and Chas Comiskey... Spalding was still nominally involved in baseball but he had sold the Cubs in 1902 so I guess he would be out of reach even in a dream set... Jim Thorpe was not active in professional baseball -- he was a "free agent" according to my research so he's not really fair game either.
---
BTW - I wanted to add Branch Rickey but he was back in school in 1912 (U. Michigan with Geo. Sisler) -- after his notoriously poor career as a player and before he returned to professional baseball as a manager/scout/GM etc.... He still holds a record as a player -- he allowed 13 stolen bases as a catcher in a single game...

Anyway, maybe all of these additional subjects would bring the T205 set up to par with the Monster? Probably not.

Last edited by Misunderestimated; 08-25-2018 at 06:48 PM.