View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 10:53 AM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

So, here we have the final piece.

I got the scan back from the photographer's today, and after a little bit of color correcting, this is pretty close to the original. However, like I've mentioned before, no photograph - no matter how good - will ever come close to actually seeing an original work of art. Especially when it comes to oil paints, the luminosity of the medium can really only be experienced in the flesh. Or paint. Yeah.

I gotta say, I enjoyed the hell out of doing this project. I was so thrilled to be able to paint Hank Aaron finally, and the fact that I got to do so using such a killer image was an absolute boon. Not only is it just crystal clear and iconic, but all of the light-play combined with that amazing Milwaukee jersey makes for some really exciting (and bold) color.

The only thing that I wish was different doesn't really have anything to do with the painting process itself, but I wish that I knew exactly what year it came from. I'm sure that it dates from either '55 or '56, but I've never been able to lock down the specific season. Granted, knowing the day and month would be great too, but I don't need to be that exact here. Had it been an action shot, I think I really would have pushed for that a lot more.

So, I'll pick up the original from Gamma (my photographer) at some point this week and then get 'em out to John shortly there after. Hopefully he'll be willing to chime in once the painting is in hand.

If anyone has any comments or questions, I'd love to hear them!

And again, thank you ALL for participating in the raffle and keeping an eye on this thread. I sincerely hope that this can be a semi-regular thing on Net54, as long as the interest in having it continues.

Graig