View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Default Mission Complete - My Basic T206 - Thank You Net54

A few years in the making. Looks like my 'basic' T206 is complete to 514 (with Wagner & Plank reprints - no variations).

WARNING - caution to serious T206 collectors - the images displayed could offend or even cause trauma. Low grade means LOW GRADE.

http://t206.weebly.com/

Many thanks to every Net54 member that helped me along the way. I honestly couldn't have done it without the support of you guys! I believe that at least 70% of this set came directly from the board.. B/S/T transactions and members who bookmarked my website made this 'easy' or easier than I imagined. Especially over the past 12 months. Several members (too many to mention - you know who you are) would periodically email me with available cards and unbeatable / non-eBay prices - or provide links to auctions/sales. Most would say 'pay when you can', 'I'll hold them for you' etc. I didn't like doing the 'I owe you' method - but it worked several times with my budget. Once I got down to about 30 cards (about half SLers), I thought it would really slow down. It didn't. I wasn't in a hurry, but the deals kept coming. Once it got to about 10 cards, I couldn't wait to finish it.

I started with the Cleveland team set. 25 cards. About 1/4 through it, I discovered the different backs. WOW. Finished the team in about a year. All were in nice SGC slabs w/ 18 or so different backs. I thought I was done..... Until a member emailed asking 'Why not go for the whole set - you've already done so many of the tough cards'..... It was then I realized I had a shot. Then someone posted about 100 T206s for sale on BST. I didn't buy them, but liked the comments about 'holding 100 raw cards at a time'. I was hooked at that point. No more SGC/PSA slabs (expect for the pricey ones) - just go for a low grade raw set. Something 'well loved'.... Many members would sell me a dozen or two cards at a time. I loved holding them too. For those that haven't held a stack of T-cards - try it.

So many ways to collect these: Team sets, Portraits, Series, Backs etc...

My father-in-law and I desiged a nice 525 card, raw T206 box and sold many here. When he gave me the prototype, I only had about 50 raw cards. It was empty - but my goal was set. I would pickup a few here and there. All graded cards (with a value of under $100) were set free. BVG, SGC, PSA and GAI were no match for a pair of pliers, a screwdriver and a hammer.... I saved all or most of the labels/flips. Can't imagine having 514+ in slabs. Filled the box with most of the T206 set and several other type 'small tobacco' cards. Nice fillers.

Backs: I've always kept an eye out out for different backs. I wanted several different low grade examples to fill in. I'll still look for a Uzit, Drum, AB 350 no frame etc to add in someday. No hurry. The 'rare' backs I have are all available to others. If anyone is after a certain card for a set or back run - feel free to contact me. I only ask for a replacement back. Not that there is much to look at - but maybe someone is after a certain one.....

Why 514? I didn't want to go after the variations. I actually had a couple that I sold (Smith & Kleinow). I noticed a few checklists online that only showed the 514. That helped me set the goal. Not ruling out more - just not right now. Variations lead to Lundgren, lead to O'Hara etc, lead to Magie, lead to.... T206museum.com (among others) had a nice 514 only checklist to print.

Things that helped along the way: Checklists. Online, spreadsheets, etc. The fun of checking off cards can't be overemphasized. I also did my T206 website to display pictures. It was fun. I enjoyed the scanning, cropping etc. Helped make my checklists more visual. I picked up HOFer and SL cards periodically. Didn't wait until the end to find 4 Cobbs and a bunch of other southerners. Scott Reader's T206 PDF file was/is a must read. Explained so much. Creating a nice Excel spreadsheet/checklist was nice too. Organization never hurts. Mike Poland's excel spreadsheet was a great start. I 'tweaked' it for my set a bit. Got it from T206.org. Liked the 'T206 Collection' book as well. I would always reference it when new cards arrived. A poor man's wikipedia.

I've upgraded a few (about a dozen), but don't want to go too far with that. Those were 'must upgrades'... Have a few more of those. Mold etc. Even downgraded a couple. Traded or sold a few SGC 30/40 caliber cards for several more lower grades.

Some have asked - 'how much did it cost?'. I didn't keep good records (wish I had), but can say it was cheaper than I imagined. I sold some cards to establish a decent PayPal fund and didn't do much record keeping. Purchased a few larger lots and sold/traded the extras along the way. I'd recommend that to everyone. Trading was/is great! Added to the experience.

No question, Steve's (Ladder7) 'beantown' finds from 2011 helped. Many members purchased those cards and I was able to pickup the left overs - or downgrades. LOL

Honestly can't say how grateful I am. This 'set' wouldn't be nearly as fun without the help of this board. My last 2 cards were actually donated from board members!! (Thanks Steve F. and Brian W.)

Thanks to all!