View Single Post
Old 04-18-2016, 06:16 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
I know we probably don't want to go down this road again so soon, but I want to add quickly that I think he belongs in the HOF. I acknowledge there is a pro-Yankee bias at times, and people will point to his middling stolen base percentage (51%) and low saves total (4). Still, a close look at the numbers suggests he was one of the elite hitters of his day (to avoid arguments about different eras I'm limiting "his day" to the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries) and it's always been very challenging for starting pitchers to compile big save totals. Measured by some of the more nuanced metrics (wins, earned run average) he was actually quite effective as a pitcher.
The baseball knowledge on N54 is amazing. Within 24 hours I feel like I have seen thoughtful and persuasive arguments for the HOF credentials of Ruth, Clemente, and Jackie Robinson. Would love to hear the N54 community's take on other marginal guys like Wagner, Cobb, Mays, and Williams. All compiled gaudy batting stats, but could any pitch?

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/