View Single Post
Old 02-17-2016, 11:46 PM
David Kathman

Default Card Collector's Bulletin, 2/1/59: Notes from J. R. Burdick, Preston Orem on T216

Here are the first four pages and the last three pages (out of 20 pages total) from Card Collector's Bulletin #118, dated February 1, 1959. The front page article is "Personal Notes from J. R. Burdick", including his discovery of a new T-card set (T309 Jumping Novelties) and tips for people going to see his cards at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, where the staff had apparently already started to mount them. On page 2 is a note from editor Charles Bray about the timing of the next auction, and about some "interesting and rare cards" from his collection, which are pictured on the facing page and the page after that. They include two T217s, a blank-back T204, a T206 Ty Cobb back, and the T231 Carson Bigbee.

On page 18, the third to last page, is an article by Preston Orem about T216s (presumably the first article written about that set), with a checklist of 70, up from the 40 listed in the World Tobacco Issues index.

In this issue, the list of lots in Bray's auction (which he called a "Mail Card Sale") started on page 5 and then skipped around to pages 8, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, and 20, with the other pages filled mostly with ads, plus Orem's article. The first 324 lots in the auction were all postcards, which are not of much interest to me, but the last two pages, following Orem's T216 article, include the sports cards, including several lots of T206s, T205s, T209s, T211s, T212s, and much else. The prices shown here were the catalogue prices, or Bray's estimate of what the cards in each lot were worth; actual prices realized were given in the following issue. In my run of CCBs from 1954-56, somebody (I assume the original owner) wrote prices realized in pencil next to a lot of the lots, but in this one someone (a different hand) has only written prices realized next to a few lots, in pen.