View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Weiser Wonder Postcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Jay, I'm sure he isn't very happy about having his address, phone #, and email address all published out there--major mistake on Goodwin's part not to cover up those details on the letter.

I'm sure PSA meant to write 1910 as opposed to 1901 but where did they get that date from? Have they found an example of this postcard that can be attributed to that early of a date as the example in the auction was not postally used (website has photo of back)?
This is Henry (Hank) Thomas. And no, I'm not at all pleased about having my personal information published in their catalog. What in the world were they thinking? But I've been in this hobby/business for a long time, and unfortunately most auctioneers seem to be thinking almost entirely about their bottom line and consignors, buyers, and all other parties rank a distant second in their considerations.

As to the postcard itself. This came from my grandfather's scrapbooks, pasted there by my grandmother. I don't have the catalog, and the online item doesn't picture my LOA, thankfully, but I don't know why I wouldn't have stated clearly that this item had belonged to Johnson, as I thought I did for all items in that category. I have also sold items recently that I collected myself, and to my recollection always made the distinction in my LOAs. Perhaps I erred in this case, but as I said I can't see the LOA to know for sure. Lastly, I'm no card expert, mostly a memorabilia guy, but I always assumed the card was a later issue, possibly even as late as the 1920s when Johnson came into his greatest fame following the 1924 World Series. Wouldn't the graphics give the greatest clue as to the date of issue? It seems almost certain to me, however, to NOT be from 1907 or even the first few years of his career. Just my opinion. PSA's slabbing of a 1901 issue date tells you all you need to know about their expertise and diligence on the subject. Hope this helps. As I said, I'm not a card guy, but I do love the hobby despite it's many deficiencies and controversies, and I always enjoy the intelligent and honest discussions about it courtesy of the experts taking the time to contribute to this forum.